It is very important to clean your washing machine regularly. The risk of grease lice can be very high, especially while washing at low temperatures and with liquid detergents.
What is grease lice?
Grease lice is an oily substance left in the washing machine by skin grease, soap, bacteria and dander. Grease lice cause the washing machine to give off a nasty smell, laundry no longer gets clean properly, programmes take longer than usual and, in the worst case, the washing machine breaks down.
How do I prevent grease lice?
You can prevent grease lice by running a boil wash at 90 or 95 degrees at least once every two weeks. Then the pipes and hoses will be rinsed clean by the hot water, and residue will be prevented. In addition, clean the washer filter regularly. The filter in the washing machine is usually behind a flap at the front at the bottom of the machine. First drain the water through the drain hose and then carefully remove the filter. Rinse and clean the filter with a brush and all-purpose cleaner. Remember to also clean the inside of the filter housing with a cloth before replacing the filter.
I have limescale in my washing machine. What now?
Clean your washing machine regularly to prevent limescale build-up and a blockage. Accumulation of limescale on the heating element causes an unnecessary amount of energy to heat the water. It is very important to clean your washing machine regularly, and this will boost the lifespan and performance of the appliance.
What's the best washing machine cleaner?
Cleaning a washing machine should preferably be done at least once every 2 months. To clean and decalcify immediately, it is best to use 1 of these descalers:
- Durgol cleaner & descaler
- WPRO DES 16 descaler and degreaser
- Electrolux/AEG descaler Clean and Care
- Bosch/Siemens detergent
How do I clean the (door) rubber of my washing machine?
You can find the cuff (rubber door edge) at the front of the washing machine. It is important to clean this regularly because dirt can get stuck in here. Forgotten coins from trouser pockets also regularly end up between the rubber.
Use kitchen paper to remove as much of the initial dirt as possible. Clean the edge well with a soapy bowl of hot water and some dishwashing detergent. Is it stubborn dirt trapped inside the washing machine cuff? Then use a brush or toothbrush. Afterwards, dry the rubber well again with a kitchen towel.
How do I clean the soap dish of my washing machine?
Remember to clean the soap dish (also known as detergent dish) regularly. You can easily slide the detergent tray out of the washing machine by pressing the button inside the soap tray. Clean the tray with a soapy bowl of hot water and a dash of washing-up liquid.
Before sliding the tray back, you can also clean the soap dish holder. For stubborn dirt, use a brush or toothbrush.
How can I extend the life of my washing machine?
Try to avoid any problems with these tips:
- Do not use too much detergent or fabric softener. This can cause grease lice.
- Check the water hardness in your area. Hard water causes limescale.
- After washing, do not close the door to allow the drum and cuff to dry properly.
- Take laundry out of the washing machine immediately when the programme is finished. This will prevent unpleasant odours on the laundry and your machine.
- Close zips on clothes, remove strings, hooks and other loose objects to prevent these loose objects from entering the machine and damaging the rubber parts, drum or washing machine pump.
- Replace washing machine parts that aren’t working properly anymore. This way, a washing machine can be very easy to repair by yourself.
In short, cleaning and regular maintenance is very important for the lifespan and quality of your washing machine. In addition, you ensure that the machine continues to perform at its best.