What do you have to do if your fridge suddenly starts to freeze? Or if your fridge stops working as intended? This can be very inconvenient and it can even lead to food waste.
Why is it freezing in the fridge?
There are several reasons why a fridge can freeze. One of the most common causes is a problem with the fridge's thermostat. The thermostat is responsible for regulating the temperature inside the fridge. If it is faulty, the fridge can get too cold and freeze.
Another cause may be that the door of the fridge does not close properly. This allows moisture to enter the fridge, which can then build up and freeze. There could also be a problem with air circulation in the fridge. If the air does not circulate properly, a layer of ice might form.
How do I prepare my fridge for repairs?
If your fridge is not working properly and you want to have it repaired, it is important to prepare it properly. Here are some steps you can take:
- Turn off the fridge and unplug it.
- Remove all food from the fridge and put it temporarily in another fridge or cooler.
- Clean the inside of the fridge thoroughly. After all, the fridge is empty now.
- If you have an American fridge, remember to switch off and disconnect the ice maker as well.
What does a fridge's thermostat do?
A fridge's thermostat is an important component. It regulates the temperature inside the fridge and makes sure it doesn't get too cold or too hot. If the thermostat does not work properly, the fridge might get too cold and freeze. It can also happen that the thermostat stops working at all, causing the fridge to stop cooling altogether.
How do I replace a fridge's thermostat?
Replacing a fridge's thermostat is a fairly simple job that you can do by yourself. Here are some easy steps you can follow:
- Turn off the fridge and unplug it.
- Locate the thermostat. This may be located at the back of the fridge or on the inside, usually near the light.
- Remove the wiring from the thermostat.
- Remove the old thermostat and replace it with the new thermostat suitable for your fridge.
- Connect the wiring of the new thermostat to the fridge.
- Turn the fridge back on and check that the new thermostat works as intended.
How do I maintain my fridge?
To ensure that your fridge keeps working properly and does not freeze, it is important to maintain it properly. Here are some tips:
- Keep the fridge clean and remove food residues and stains regularly.
- Check the fridge door rubbers regularly and replace them if they are worn out.
- Make sure the fridge is not too full to allow air to circulate properly.
- Defrost the fridge regularly if ice starts building up.
- Clean the refrigerator's condenser coils once a year.
What should I avoid doing with a fridge?
There are a couple of things you better not do with your fridge if you want to prevent it from freezing:
- Do not put the fridge on the lowest setting. This can cause the fridge to get too cold and freeze.
- Do not put hot dishes in the fridge. This can disturb the temperature in the fridge and cause it to get too cold.
- Do not block air circulation by overfilling the fridge.
- Do not place the refrigerator against the wall. This will not allow heat to dissipate properly and may cause the fridge to overheat.
How do I prepare my fridge for a hot summer?
As summer approaches, it is important to prepare your fridge for the warmer temperatures. Here are some tips:
- Put the fridge in a cool place and avoid exposure to direct sunlight.
- Check the door rubbers and replace them if they are worn.
- Clean the condenser coils to ensure the refrigerator can cool properly.
- Do not keep the fridge too full to allow air to circulate properly.
A frozen fridge can be very inconvenient and can even lead to food waste. Fortunately, there are several steps you can take to prevent or solve this problem. By maintaining your fridge properly and preparing it for the different seasons, you can ensure that it keeps working as intended so your food stays fresh. Should you still have problems with your fridge, you can always turn to Fiyo for necessary fridge parts and advice.